If you're new to creating legal citations, you might wonder how to get the § in N.C. Gen. Stat. §1-181. It's not that simple. In Word, you'll need to follow these steps:
- Click on "Insert" in the toolbar at the top of the screen, so that the Insert ribbon appears.
- Click on "Symbol" all the way to the right.
- Select "More Symbols."
- Select the "Special Characters" tab.
- Select the "Section" symbol by clicking on it
- Click on the "Insert" button.
If you want to save yourselves all of these steps in the future, assign a Shortcut Key to the section symbol by clicking on the "Shortcut Key" button while the section symbol is highlighted in the list above. I suggest Alt + S, since it isn't assigned to anything by default.
Posted by Sara A. Sampson on Thu. September 13, 2012 3:33 PM